I managed to get the plugin to work on Windows 7 64 bit with Gimp 2.6.12 32 bit …
Apparently, the Windows build (0.2.3) crashes Gimp 2.8.6 (64bit) as well as 2.6.12 (32bit) – you get an error when Gimp tries to initialize the plugin at startup, you dismiss it, and the plugin doesn’t appear in the menu.
The steps were like this:
a) on Gimp 2.8.6 startup you get an error message “the application was unable to start correctly 0xc000007b”
b) assuming that there might be some incompatibilities between the 32bit plugin and 64bit Gimp, I have downgraded to 2.6.12 ..
c) Gimp 2.6.12 crashes also, but you get a better error message saying that libstdc++-6.dll is required
Now is where the fun begun 🙂 I’ve tried few libstc++-6.dll from mingw and whatever I was able to find on the internet by adding it to the \bin folder of Gimp directly. Then the error message switched to :
the procedure entry point __gxx_personality_sj0 could not be located ……
After giving up on compiling everything for Windows (lensfun, and the miriad of dependencies that are required), I proceeded to check further …
Apparently, gimp-lensfun 0.2.3 is compiled with sjlj exception model … and the standard mingw (which I used as a source for the .dll) was compiled with something else.
Then I managed to find a mingw build compiled with sjlj here:
I then extracted the libstdc++-6.dll to the “c:\Program Files (x86)\GIMP-2.0\bin\” folder, then the error message changed, it needed a different .dll -> libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll . I put that too, and BINGO it works 🙂
By now I was sufficiently familiar with lensfun that I decided to update the .xml that holds the Canon SLR lens, since the gimp lensfun plugin did not support my lens (Canon EF-S 18-135). However, I don’t like the results, I am using the Canon EF 28-135 and pictures look better.
I did not try the same steps again for 2.8.6 of Gimp. Mainly because I don’t use it, the GUI still needs some rework for Windows 7 and it doesn’t look as simple, so I would stick with 2.6 for a while …